25 October 2007

handwritten, not typed

I enjoy wandering through stores like Paper Source, looking at stationary, cards, etc. So “Putting Your Stamp on the Mail” in today’s Washington Post caught my attention. It is a short article about note writing in the age of IM-ing and e-mail, they also have several examples of colorful stationary.

I’m dating myself, but I remember a time when writing letters was the best option. My dad was in the military so whenever he was away we would write each other several times a week. It was always fun to check the mailbox, rip open the letter and read Dad’s response. My Dad’s handwriting is immaculate, something I always aspired to, but never achieved. I’m somewhere between his writing and my Mom’s chicken scratch. Now we e-mail, but I have the letters for when I want a trip down memory lane.

 I challenge one and all! Back away from the computer, pick up some quality stationary, your favorite pen and take the time to hand write a note. Let Mom know you are thinking of her or surprise the kids with mail of their own. Add an illustration or doodle if you like, when you are done address it and send through the mail. It is fun to receive letters through snail mail, as opposed to bills and sales flyers. Who knows, maybe you will get a letter in return.

No comments: