24 October 2007

crossing words

This week I’m back to working on the newspaper crossword puzzles. I'm plugging along, although I do have to use reference materials at some point. Is that cheating? Who am I kidding, I don’t know that I care, as long as I’m learning something in the process it is all good. For example, a clue from Tuesday read, “8 on the Beaufort scale,” looking for a 4-letter word. Have you heard of the Beaufort Scale? If I had, I didn't remember.

Sir Francis Beaufort developed the Beaufort Wind Scale in 1805. Here is a link to the Storm Prediction Center and Sir Beaufort’s scale. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html  

Ever heard your weather forecaster speak of gale force winds? Well, this is where they got that term. By the way “gale” is number 8 of the scale.

No comments: